20171002

There she goes - The La's

I must have first heard this song in 1990 when the single charted and was often on the radio. I either bought the single myself or received it as a Christmas gift. There was apparently a prior version, produced by Bob Andrews, released in 1988 and 1989 but it is Steve Lillywhite's remix for the debut album that is best known. It was the biggest success Liverpool band The La's ever enjoyed. The song's structure is simple, having only a chorus repeated four times and a bridge. It has been placed in what some call the Jangle Pop genre, one often associated with the 12 string Rickenbacker guitar, and pioneered by The Beatles and The Byrds especially Mr Tambourine Man. This is a fine example of the genre. The song is often said to refer to heroin ("There she goes again ... racing through my brain ... pulsing through my vein ... no one else can heal my pain") which is unlikely. It is associated in my mind with Mrs Thatcher whose reign as prime minister came to an end just after the song charted. I probably got the idea in my head from hearing it used for the opening montage of the first episode of Channel 4's drama series This Is England '90 which also featured Mrs Thatcher's resignation speech. It is actually about the usual staple, love for (or should we say infatuation with?) a girl. The song has featured on the soundtrack of The Parent Trap; Fever Pitch; Girl, Interrupted; Cold Case, and So I Married an Axe Murderer. It has been covered by Sixpence none the richer, The Boo Radleys and Robbie Williams, among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment