20231118

Bridge from heart to heart - Horslips

Bridge from heart to heart is a rare Horslips track that was a B-side to Speed the Plough in 1978, sharing the honours with a live version of Red river rock. There was also an EP in Ireland called Tour-A-Loor-A-Loor-A-Loor-A-Loor-A with four tracks including this one. Horslips shared vocals and I'm not sure which one takes the lead here. I'm guessing Barry Devlin. It is a simple song, upbeat but with a dark theme, what appears to be the death of a loved one. The opening reference to  athree thousand mile gap, however, suggests the real theme is the Irish emigration. It is reminiscent a little of Ghosts in that respect. Halfway through there is a beautiful flute lead from Jim Lockhart. The flute then continues to the close of the song. As so often with Horslips the underlying tune is a traditional Irish one, this time a tune called Carrickfergus.

Cross a weary three thousand miles
Your face is with me every hour
I saved your love, it's all I've got to stay alive
And standing at these bright cross roads you feel the glory in the power
But I feel I've left the mystery far behind

First thing every morning when the mailman comes to call
Think I hear your footsteps in the hall
And they build a bridge from heart to heart
They'll see the ways of other lovers
When they build that bridge

They'll know that we all ready tried
The nights are long without you here
The days go by like heavy weather
The feeling lasts, I'm only biding time
When all I see is cold and lonely streets
We're still somehow together
It's cold tonight but your still on my mind

No comments:

Post a Comment